The Destiny Center
The Destiny Center (DC) was founded on September 18, 2003, by Dr. DeWayne Hill. The DC is the community outreach for High Praise Ministries, serving the twin cities metro area communities. The DC was built on the premise of building stronger communities by supporting the needs of families. Our mission of the DC is to improve the quality of life for cultural communities through education, leadership development, and family support. The DC was also created to meet the on-going needs of communities of color in the areas of child rearing, relationships, addictions, financial planning, and housing, to name a few. The DC’s programs are very effective in reaching families and individuals from communities of color who face enormous challenges in the areas of: literacy and educational deficits, mental health disorders, drug and alcohol addictions, and criminal offenses. The Destiny Center’s program has touched the lives of over 750 individuals and families in the north Minneapolis community since its inception in 2002 and continues to grow at a steady pace. The DC offers the following programs:
Relational Development: Classes and retreats designed to teach and develop true intimacy with communication techniques to reinforce family unity and build healthy relationships.
The Overcomers: A twelve-step program to provide support from a spiritual approach in addressing behaviors for people struggling with addictions of all kinds.
Housing Assistance: in 2012 we assisted one family with rental and/or mortgage assistance. We are searching for more financing for this endeavor, as the need is great within our community. The development of life management classes is coming along well. These classes will be a qualification requirement of eligibility for the rental/mortgage assistance grants.
Family Values for Life: A faith-based organization that connects families on the East Side of St. Paul to community resources that support strong, healthy families. We embrace the mission to partner with families to cultivate communities that are spiritually empowered, mentally alert, physically fit and financially secure. Together we build capacities for families to network and leverage resources.
Here’s Life Inner City: We serve and mobilize the Church to live out God’s heart for the poor, so all can grow in Christ and spiritually multiply.
Plans for 2016
We are in the process of developing relationship with other organizations within the scope of North side Minneapolis to further our endeavors to be a leading resource for the community we serve.
- 60 day Insanity challenge
- Mental stress management classes
- Financial Literacy Programs
- Basic Computer skills training
- Researching housing for transitional housing program
It is our belief that God has given us the commission to help those in need and ensure that all have an opportunity to better themselves, if so desired.
Fine Arts Ministry
The functions of this team consist of a wide variety and variations of ministry through song, theatre, and dance. In the High Praise Fine Arts department excellence is key to properly grasp the hearts and spirits of those in need of a touch from God, no matter what life path they may be on. We believe that we are being raised to become a church with “no walls”; where the spirit of God will be able to move amongst the people everywhere, not just in a church setting. The vision is to do whatever it takes as brothers and sisters to win souls for Christ through biblically sound principles in each area of the Fine Arts Department.
The Soul is defined as-the spiritual part of a person, capable of redemption from the power of sin through divine grace; the seat of human personality, intellect, will, and emotions.
Soulical Department currently supports ten areas of ministry: Youth Department, Christian Education, Men’s and
Women’s Department, Intercessory Prayer Team, Sunday school, Leadership Training, Love Links, Christian Counseling, and Small Cell Groups. Soulical Department focuses on training, teaching, and developing individuals into leaders which impacts local communities as well as the world.
Our General Philosophy of Youth Ministry
HPMDC Youth Ministry exists to introduce youth and young adults to a saving belief in Jesus Christ and to then provide them with sources for spiritual growth where they will have the opportunity to develop a Godly lifestyle that will create mature relationships and promote service to both God and others.
There are five elements that continually drive every aspect of our youth ministry. Each of these elements undergoes constant evaluation and re-evaluation followed by appropriate revision in order to reach the highest potential of effectiveness.
- Introduce: Fulfilling God’s purpose of Evangelism (Acts 1:8) A huge part of our heart and passion for ministry lies in unsaved youth. These youth, though often overlooked, are just as important to the Lord as godly youth. We believe it is essential for our ministry to focus on this un-reached group, present the gospel to them through relevant means, and introduce them to a saving belief in Christ.
- Growth: Fulfilling God’s purpose of Discipleship (Heb. 6:1; Matt. 28:18-20) Every youth needs to grow spiritually. God desires to spit out of His mouth those who are stagnant and lukewarm (Rev. 3:15-16). Part of our purpose is to provide youth with an environment where they will be encouraged and aided toward spiritual maturity in Christ.
- Lifestyle: Fulfilling God’s purpose of Worship (Romans 12:1) Worship, often thought to be synonymous with singing, includes many aspects. It includes praying (Ps. 95:6), hearing the Word (John 17:17; Deut. 31:11), giving (1 Cor. 16:1-2), baptizing (Rom. 6:3-4), meditating (Hab. 2:20), partaking of the Lord’s Supper (1 Cor. 11:23-26), and more. Each of these are just as important as musical worship and need to be approached and implemented as such since worship is more accurately an approach to life than an act on Sunday mornings.
- Relationships: Fulfilling God’s purpose of Fellowship (Eph. 2:19) God made humans very relational. A large majority of effective ministry takes place within the context of personal relationships with youth. We believe it is vitally important for youth to be plugged into a group of peers and adults where they can establish relationships of godly influences. Part of our purpose is introducing youth to such influential people.
- Service: Fulfilling God’s purpose of Ministry (Ephesians 4:11-12) Every youth has been blessed with spiritual gifts provided by God for the edification of others. Youth of any age are able to use those gifts in service to God and others. When each of their unique gifts is implemented, both the ministry and the youth will grow.
The Vision for Our Youth Ministry
Our Vision is to become an active international youth ministry that promotes unification in the body of Christ, in accordance to the word of God.
A value of the HPMDC Youth Ministry is to dream big. We believe God is a big God who does big things in big ways. In the Old Testament He delivered the entire nation of Israel from captivity, not once but twice! In the New Testament He caused a virgin to become pregnant. He also healed the incurable and freed apostles from top-security prisons. At HPMDC we don’t want to limit God by only asking for “small” things. Rather, a big God is in the business of doing big things through His people, so together we dream big and allow Him to do what He does best. This vision will probably always be in the editing phase as God continues to work and direct.
Vision for Youth
Godly genuine relationships are the key to our ministry. Everything else is supplemental to these relationships. When a youth arrives at our Youth Ministry (YM), he or she is smothered with unconditional love and acceptance. This YM is led by its own student body. Adult volunteers and staff are there to supervise, offer support and training, and provide resources so the youth can successfully minister to their own peers.
This is a place where every youth is involved in the ministry. Each youth eventually becomes plugged in through various means and opportunities the YM provides. The YM leadership has the ability to adapt and create new opportunities for individual youth based on their gifts, talents, and passions.
Various teams will be established for youth to plug into, with one or more adult mentors for each team. Teams include, but are not limited to: drama, media, worship, outreach, teaching, fun, people, events, and more…
Bible studies are offered for various levels of spiritual maturity, starting with studies for those investigating Christianity to studies for the spiritually mature leaders. These Bible studies will be taught by youth whenever possible.
Discipleship takes place in home-groups. This provides an intimate setting with one-on-one personal interaction between youth and leaders, allowing us to more effectively invest into their individual lives.
The youth will connect with other area youth groups during the school year for the purpose of meeting other Christians at their school so together they can develop strategies for reaching their campus for Christ.
The YM will prepare youth so that when they reach 12th grade they are fully devoted followers of Christ and are ready to take their leadership skills and ministry experience into college and other parts of the world.